Mark Needham

Thoughts on Software Development

Learning Android: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space with android-maven-plugin

with 3 comments

I’ve been trying to adapt my Android application to fit into the structure of the RobolectricSample so that I can add some tests around my code but I was running into a problem when trying to deploy the application.

To deploy the application you need to run the following command:

mvn package android:deploy

Which was resulting in the following error:

[INFO] UNEXPECTED TOP-LEVEL ERROR:
[INFO] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
[INFO] 	at com.android.dx.rop.code.PlainInsn.withNewRegisters(PlainInsn.java:152)
[INFO] 	at com.android.dx.ssa.NormalSsaInsn.toRopInsn(NormalSsaInsn.java:121)
[INFO] 	at com.android.dx.ssa.back.SsaToRop.convertInsns(SsaToRop.java:342)
[INFO] 	at com.android.dx.ssa.back.SsaToRop.convertBasicBlock(SsaToRop.java:323)
[INFO] 	at com.android.dx.ssa.back.SsaToRop.convertBasicBlocks(SsaToRop.java:260)
[INFO] 	at com.android.dx.ssa.back.SsaToRop.convert(SsaToRop.java:124)
[INFO] 	at com.android.dx.ssa.back.SsaToRop.convertToRopMethod(SsaToRop.java:70)
[INFO] 	at com.android.dx.ssa.Optimizer.optimize(Optimizer.java:102)
[INFO] 	at com.android.dx.ssa.Optimizer.optimize(Optimizer.java:73)

I’d added a few dependencies to the original pom.xml file so I figured on of those must be causing the problem and eventually narrowed it down to be the twitter4j-core library which I had defined like this in the pom.xml file:

<dependency>
  <groupId>org.twitter4j</groupId>
  <artifactId>twitter4j-core</artifactId>
  <version>[2.2,)</version>
</dependency>

I found a bug report for the maven-android-plugin which suggested that increasing the heap size might solve the problem.

That section of the pom.xml file ended up looking like this:

<plugin>
  <groupId>com.jayway.maven.plugins.android.generation2</groupId>
  <artifactId>android-maven-plugin</artifactId>
  <version>3.0.0-alpha-13</version>
  <configuration>
    <sdk>
      <platform>10</platform>
      <path>/path/to/android-sdk</path>                
    </sdk>
    <dex>                                
      <jvmArguments>
        <jvmArgument>-Xms256m</jvmArgument>                                        
        <jvmArgument>-Xmx512m</jvmArgument>
      </jvmArguments>                        
    </dex>
    <undeployBeforeDeploy>true</undeployBeforeDeploy>
  </configuration>
  <extensions>true</extensions>
</plugin>

That seemed to get rid of the problem but I also tried changing the plugin version to the latest one and that seemed to solve the problem as well without the need to add the JVM arguments:

<plugin>
  <groupId>com.jayway.maven.plugins.android.generation2</groupId>
  <artifactId>android-maven-plugin</artifactId>
  <configuration>
    <sdk>
      <platform>10</platform>
      <path>/path/to/android-sdk</path>                
    </sdk>
    <undeployBeforeDeploy>true</undeployBeforeDeploy>
  </configuration>
  <extensions>true</extensions>
</plugin>

The latest version is 3.0.2 from what I can tell.

Written by Mark Needham

January 7th, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Posted in Android

Tagged with

  • http://javarevisited.blogspot.com/2011/08/enum-in-java-example-tutorial.html Enum Java

    Java OutOfMemoryError is different than other error which has a predefined cause, though its predefined cause is no more memory but trigger could be different e.g. memory leak, other process running on same machine, not adequate memory, 32 bit or 64 bit difference etc., by the way here is my way of solving 2 solution of java.lang.outofmemoryerror java heap space  you can also see Java heap explanation to know more about heap

  • http://javarevisited.blogspot.com/2011/04/garbage-collection-in-java.html Java gc
  • http://www.markhneedham.com/blog Mark Needham

    yep that’s true enough. Just thought it was interesting that the problem only seemed to rear its head when I put in that extra library. Probably the straw that broke the camel’s back.